Drama Haters RPG
Welcome to Drama Haters RPG! Why don't you log in and write something? What was that? You're not a member? Then register, and then write something!
Drama Haters RPG
Welcome to Drama Haters RPG! Why don't you log in and write something? What was that? You're not a member? Then register, and then write something!
Drama Haters RPG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drama Haters RPG

Welcome to the wonderful world of Drama Free Role Playing! Here you can write as much as you want without the hastle of drama that those other boards have!

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
SwineSlaughter
Zombie Hunter
SwineSlaughter

Male Posts : 200

The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] Empty
PostSubject: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyTue Jul 28, 2009 7:57 am

This thread for metalheads of all sorts to discuss their favourite genre. Whether you like it brutal or technical doesn't matter. Metal is metal and it kicks ass. This discussion may also include hardcore, deathcore and metalcore.

First on the order, what's everyone's favourite sub-genre of metal? I myself like all death metal (technical, brutal, melodic, etc.) and thrash metal the most. Some of my favourite death metal bands are The Black Dahlia Murder (durh.), Amon Amarth, Aeon, Nile and Cannibal Corpse. Thrash metal bands are Slayer, Sepultura, Megadeth, Annihilator and Swashbuckle. Of course, I could go on and name hundreds of other bands that I love but I won't.

Another question for my fellow headbangers, what do you prefer more? Brutality or Technicality? I myself am a more brutal person but I love both. Even though I listen to more technical bands than brutal, the face smashing tunes are what pleasures my ears the most.

And one last question, what's your opinions on deathcore/metalcore? A lot of headbangers think of them as not actual metal and just "faggy scene bullshit." I am not this way. My iTunes library is filled with face smashing deathcore and interesting metalcore. I headbang to it daily and its basically what got me into metal more than I already was. There are a few bands I cannot stand though like Bring Me The Horizon. They have one decent album which is Count Your Blessings. Suicide Season was complete shit, in my opinion.

I'll probably ask what your stand on nu metal is next but I'll leave that till later. Stay brutal, my fellow metalheads \m/

Last edited by nightsun on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Progenitor Sajuuk
Drama Starter
Drama Starter

Male Posts : 66

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 8:44 pm

Eh, I have to heavily disagree with your statement about Deathmetal. I don't consider someone who can't describe what Vibrato is or even properly perform it a guitar player and I don't consider Heavy Metal, even music, as a bunch of people who just do the juggernaught chords on guitars played at Dropped B tuning for 5 minutes while spouting off that "Satan is coming to kill you all!" the entire song and screaming at the top of their lungs with random shredding as their solo.

I don't care to disagree but unless you can convince me otherwise, I stand solid with that.

As for metal, I stand with the older classics, Judas Priest, Metallica (Black Album only, thank you), Black Sabbath, Ozzy (With Randy, Jake, or Zakk doesn't matter all awesome. ^^), Trivium (some of their stuff is alright).

Really I'm more of an alternative person myself. I'll do songs from a slow rock setting up to the Hetfield "chop your head off" riffs. (Love that guy, best metal singer of all time.) Children of Bodom is another good band I listen to. Being a guitarist myself helps me discern what's a good band and what sounds good. Most of what I listen to is what I tend to play. Ask Joker's Ace about me. Very Happy She knows.

But yeah... anything that's not death metal I'll listen to. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SwineSlaughter
Zombie Hunter
SwineSlaughter

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyWed Jul 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Not all death metal is pointless shredding and guttural vocals. A lot of people think it takes little or no talent at all for death metal. You have to take into consideration there's also melodic death metal and technical death metal. And actually Children of Bodom is a melodic death metal band. Also, your thing saying that they just say "Satan is coming!" or some shit is laughable because there are numerous Christian DM bands out there. Also, most of the Satanic lyrics are either in blasphemous death metal like the band Deicide. The average DM song contains lyrics about brutality, cannibalism, rape and murder. Very rarely do you find lyrics about Satan and other evils. Melodic death metal normally holds different lyrical themes.

Here are some examples of the more melodic and technical aspects of death metal. Firstly, just a straight up death metal song from the most known DM band, Cannibal Corpse.
Make Them Suffer - Cannibal Corpse

Note the heavy riffing, face smashing solo and chorus, the brutal lyrics and the guttural vocals that aren't just screaming at the top of your lungs unless you have hopes to fuck up your vocal chords. Now I'm going to add two melodic songs. One by Amon Amarth which incorporates viking themes into their lyrics.
Cry of the Blackbirds - Amon Amarth

Notice the difference already? More melodic riffing than Cannibal Corpse. There's also keyboards involved in melodeath too. The second one I'm putting is by an amazing melodeath band called Scar Symmetry.

Melodic riffs, guttural vocals and clean vocals. Contrary to popular belief, there is clean vocals in death metal. Technical death metal contains technicality in the riffing and solos. More talent is involved for techdeath and the guitars are tuned to sound almost mechanical. The solos are very fast and heavy. Decapitated is a Polish technical death metal band.
Day 69 - Decapitated

Necrophagist is one of the more well known techdeath bands. They have a classical influence in their riffing and solos and their guitars do not sound as mechanical as most techdeath bands like Brain Drill. They are one of the best bands out there, in my opinion.
Extreme Unction - Necrophagist

Consumed by the Dead - Brain Drill
Back to top Go down
Mike
The Writing Writer
The Writing Writer
Mike

Male Posts : 1385

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 3:04 am

Oo.. I'm gonna throw my coin at whoever's nearest.

What do you guys think of Progressive Metal? I know there is more than one prog metal band out there, but the only one I know of is Dream Theater.

They verge completely on the technical side of metal, and I love them. I do like more brutal stuff too, but DT are my current favourites.
Back to top Go down
http://mikeyferwritings.blogspot.com
SwineSlaughter
Zombie Hunter
SwineSlaughter

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 3:11 am

I love DT's Octavarium and Black Clouds & Silver Linings. I'm not a big prog fan but I love me some Ryashon. I'll add my favourite song and their Chocolate Rain cover. Its all instrumental and pretty heavy for prog. The music titles are all warrior and battle themed and when I listen to the music and close my eyes I can envision and bloody battle in front of my eyes.

The Stone of Triumph - Ryashon

Chocolate Rain - Ryashon
Back to top Go down
Mike
The Writing Writer
The Writing Writer
Mike

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 8:19 am

BC&SL is possibly DT's best work yet. It's heavier than previous albums, but still incredibly technical.

I'll look up those ones you mentioned when I get home, I have Spotify, so it's as simple as typing the artists name in and clicking the song to listen to it. I love it! Razz
Back to top Go down
SwineSlaughter
Zombie Hunter
SwineSlaughter

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 8:33 am

How fancy ^^ But yes. Do it.

EDIT: Prog, here's another thing for ya. Its called Death & Roll. Takes heavy metal riffs and solos and adds in dm vox and clean vox too. Profane Omen are a good example.

Left to Disintegrate - Profane Omen

You have a lot of video watching to do, boy-o.
Back to top Go down
Mike
The Writing Writer
The Writing Writer
Mike

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 1:12 pm

I sure do... I'd better get started then!
Back to top Go down
Progenitor Sajuuk
Drama Starter
Drama Starter

Male Posts : 66

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 8:38 pm

Honestly speaking I don't listen to a lot of all that. I listen to the intrumentalist songs and such. Know of any good ones out there?

As for the closest thing to Metal that I listen to on a DAILY basis... It has to be this guy:
Back to top Go down
SwineSlaughter
Zombie Hunter
SwineSlaughter

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptySun Aug 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Epic ear sex is win. Click here for that. The song is Mana by Equilibrium and its almost 18 minutes long. Completely instrumental and crazy as fuck. I promise you will not be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Paradigm
Outcast
Outcast
Paradigm

Female Posts : 1003

PostSubject: Re: The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted]   The Metal Discussion Thread [All Metalheads Accepted] EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 3:56 pm

Hmm, metal... hmm.... Dream Theater. Have you tried out Symphony X? Vocally they're better than DT, however they're not as technical- unless you're going to listen to their Odyssey album/track because that, for me, is one of their best albums. Not saying that Paradise Lost wasn't excellent (Serpents Kiss track is epic) but The Odyssey amazing in terms of vocals and intrumentals. Granted, it's more orchestral but it's still great.

Another band I'd like to pitch in here- Killswitch Engage. I know what some will say- maybe they're not heavy enough or perhaps their singer should sing more instead of the screamo that isn't really screamo or growling. But, I think their The End Of Heartache album has some of their best songs on it.

For Instance
Wasted Sacrifice

Spoiler: